Monday, November 22, 2010

The Sky is Falling!

And no I don't mean the white stuff... though that has been falling in copious amounts lately.

What I mean is that just as my surgeon walked into the room Jeph and I were waiting in, the fire alarm went off and we were told that we would have to evacuate. So, off we went, following the surgeon because hopefully he knows where he's going in the maze they call the Foothills Hospital.  We make it to a coffee shop (yay!) and find out that this wasn't a fire drill, but that they had to evacuate that one specific and very small area of the hospital because the roof had caved in, almost hitting someone.

Well.. if they had gotten hit at least they were in the right place...

So we waited, and waited, and wandered the hallways, coming upon elevators and stairwells where you could have taken a drenching, albeit very cold, shower from all the melted snow pouring down.  Eventually we found our way back to my surgeon and found out that they were pretty much cancelling all clinics for that day.  Yay.  Luckily I was able to take him aside and ask him some of my burning questions, one of them being how long would I be off work.  He said basically that as long as I don't do any heavy lifting I could be back in 2 weeks.

2 weeks?? After a major surgery where they are removing my thyroid that produces energy hormones?? Is he on crack?  I asked my regular doctor about this after and he just laughed.  He at least realized the need to heal after a surgery.  Even he agreed that I'll probably need 4-6 weeks to recover, if not longer because of the synthroid(?) that we have to figure out dosage for and for the radiation treatments I will most likely need.  Gah..  I'm not in a hurry to get back to work after this.

Anyways, the surgeon does seem like a pretty good guy, in spite of this, and I've been rescheduled for Friday, so I get to miss that whole day of work.  Not only is he checking my neck again with ultrasound, he's doing what I'm calling a nosescopy.  In other words, he numbs my throat or something, sticks a camera string into my nose to look down my throat, and when he gets to my vocal cords I say "Eeeee."  <shudder>  Though, talking to my good doctor, he said that they actually had to do this to each other in medical school and it's not that bad.  He said it's a little weird going in, but after it's there it basically feels like a really big booger or a loogie!  LOL!  That makes me a lot less afraid of another weird test being done to me. :)

2 comments:

  1. You know what's totally weird, you are the second person in 2 months that I know that's having a thyroid removed. I didn't know it was contagious! Sorry, he was only here on vacation. Next time I know someone with cancer, I'll keep them away from Calgary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going in through the nose? Gross! And that's on Friday? I'll be thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete